"I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn."
What is it?
Also called therapeutic and reflective writing, this is a resource that will surprise and empower you. It’s something a bit different that you might not have previously considered.
How will it help me?
- By focusing your mind
- Shifting your perspective
- Opening you up to new ideas
- Releasing difficult emotions
- Providing insight
- It’s actually fun too!
You’ll be pleased to know that unlike creative writing, there aren’t many rules.
- You don’t have to be a writer, or be any good at writing in general. Grammar, spelling and punctuation don’t matter here.
- You can write in whatever language comes naturally to you
- There’s no requirement to share your words. It can remain between you and the page. You’ll be encouraged to talk about the exercise in a reflective way. It’s about the process not the content
- There’s an emphasis on cathartic expression and positivity
- There’s no wrong way to do the exercises, if you don't understand or like them - you can write about that.
What generally happens in a session?
There are a series of prompts and exercises you are invited to engage with and time to respond to them. Ground rules will be provided and some guidance, but there's also a lot of freedom.
I'm a member of Lapidus, the International Writing for Wellbeing Community. For more information visit